THE INSPIRATION – ALBATROS D-III
The respective inspiration for this watch was the ALBATROSS D-III with the aircraft identification 153.27. The pilot of this aircraft was Georg Kenzian Edler von Kenzianhausen, who entered the list of the most successful Austrian-Hungarian fighter pilots with 9 won air combats.
The painting of this ALBATROSS D-III was a model and example for the painting of many military aircraft in the following century. The top and sides were green, the bottom was blue.
The ALBATROSS D-III 153.27 was subordinated to the unit FliK 55 J.
1) The blue-green colour of the dial of this watch is based on the original painting of this aircraft.
2) The two arrows on the dial at position 9 are taken from a historical instrument for measuring the vertical speed. In this case, the upper arrow shows the service peak height of the 153.27, the lower arrow shows the water tightness of the watch (data in feet).
3) On the bezel you can find the aircraft identification number.
1) The manufacturer’s name ALBATROSS D-III and 153.27 can be found at position 12 of the caseback.
2) The engraving with the side view of the 153.27 is centrally located on the back of the case. The white-blue flag with the figure ‘2’, the aircraft identification 153.27 and the cross pattée on the fin are very characteristic.